Thursday 22 January 2009

not alone

I was at the major seminary at Punggol for a short retreat two weeks ago and had another 'revelation' in my relationship with creation. Major seminary at Punggol has beautiful natural surroundings, lots of trees, birds, beautiful sky and lots of space to roam around and be reflective.

During one of the evenings, I was sitting at the basketball court, doing my quiet time. After my reflection, I thought about doing what St. Francis did, speak to the birds and trees, and sky and sun, and addressing them as my brothers and sisters in Christ. It seemed pretty wacky at that time, but gradually I learned to appreciate each creature for what it is.. thanking the birds for their beautiful sounds, thanking the trees for providing cool shade, thanking the sun for his warmth, the wind for his comforting touch..

And it just occurred to me that I am not alone wherever I go. Even if I'm standing on the hills of England or trekking through the forests in Malaysia, I can always feel a sense of solidarity and shared kinship with creation all around. I guess that's God's way of telling me that I am not alone on this earth. He walks with me, and creation is His way of showing His presence. I am never alone.

Have you spoken to brother sun or sister moon today? :)

No comments: